Saturday 12 December 2020

Primaris Space Wolves part 11: Assault Intercessor Squad Auðr

A third Intercessor squad for my Space Wolves. The previous two were geared for close quarters assault with Assault Bolt Rifles - this squad takes that further with Chainswords. More details and pics below the jump.
 
The squad Sergeant

Way back when I planned this army I had to fill three Troops slots for a Battallion detachment. Going Primaris only, I had 2 Intercessor squads and didn't really want to take any of the Reiver-style options. This was before the latest batch of Space Marine releases, and back then I rationalised that the upcoming releases were bound to include Primaris Assault Marines. And if that happened they'd be perfect for my Space Wolves. So I kept a Troops position free and lo and behold, Assault Intercessors appeared as part of the Indomitus set. Okay, maybe that was an obvious prediction.

I think Chainswords are one of the most iconic bits of 40k. Over the top and dirty low-technology. I'm thrilled to see them in the hands of true-scale Space Marines.


These guys are the monopose kit from Indomitus. I picked up the "Recruit Edition" for cheap and got some bonus Necrons to play with. And also a Primaris Lieutenant who I might do something with.



Doubling up with a knife from the Intercessors kit
 

Like all monopose kits, it's possible to convert them to a limited degree by removing the attachment pegs and swapping arms around. I saved a couple of heads from my earlier Intercessor builds (the guy above gets one of the Khorne heads that look great on angry Marines). Also the excellent Eliminator kit heads make another appearance. I also cut away the Indomitus crusade iconography from their gauntlets. I don't particularly like the crucifix imagery and find it kinda jarring.

I swapped the body that the Sergeant uses, simply because I've seen so many (very good) interpretations of this kit already that I wanted to change him up a bit. The kit includes an alternative breastplate with no tilt shield so you can assemble him as a normal Marine (it's also possible to cut away the spare helmet from his belt if you're careful). I cut away the leftover tilt shield and reattached it to another Marine body to promote that one to Sergeant instead.



The paint recipe was the exact same as the other Intercessor kits. Two weapons gave me a chance to use both weapon colour schemes on these models: chipped white and scratched black. Unfortunately I ran out of the rare white Space Wolves decals and so left three of the Marines with blank pauldrons until I can source some more.

The sergeant with a white Space Wolves icon

With that, this army has got a solid core of 3 squads of 5 Intercessors. I really love armies based around footslogging infantry backed up with heavy armour. So now this group feels like a really solid force.

No comments:

Post a Comment