Saturday 8 September 2018

AoS Relic Lizardmen Part 6: Slann


The final addition to my Relic Lizardmen army for now: the very Slann who led their ancestors through the Winding Gate to safety from the end of the Old World. He's looking worse for wear these days.
One of my favourite pieces of Lizardmen lore is the mummified Lord Kroak, and I knew from the off that I wanted my Slann to be similarly deceased and embalmed. That said, it's real difficult to find a Kroak model that fits my low budget and I would have discarded the throne and other bits anyway. The more I looked into obtaining a Kroak model the more I realised I didn't like the shape of his skull, or that he was bandaged, and so on. Without many parts to kitbash a giant undead frog, I decided to go all the way and sculpt him entirely from scratch myself. So this guy is totally milliput + greenstuff in differing mixes.

Instead of a bandaged skeleton I went for a dried + embalmed looking corpse. I refered to photos of real mummies, especially "natural" mummies like Otzi the ice man. His skin is tightly shrinkwrapped around his skull and ribs and his limbs are long gangly bones, folded closely against his body. I'm thinking of painting him to look like he's been reverently covered in gold leaf.

The Slann (I don't have a name for him yet) died during the long journey through the Winding Gate, his body exhausted by the powers he expended to keep the way open. Like Lord Kroak though, some flicker of his spirit remained bound to his corpse long enough to sustain his followers the rest of the journey. Even now, a million years later, a small part of his consciousness can be roused when called upon.


His palanquin is also mostly scratch-built. Again I had loads of ideas that didn't bare fruit, at one point I wanted him to be carried on the back of a small-ish tortoise-shaped creature. In the end I mimicked the old metal Slann who was borne by Saurus Guards on a palanquin. This guy only gets two bearers and a palanquin that's really a bare board with a decoration from the Stegadon kit (that's the one Seraphon piece I used in this project!)

The Sauruses are made using my usual recipe: Bloodletters with tails, Tzangor heads, and whatever arms fit. The arms will come away with the palanquin in one piece for painting (fingers crossed).

I might yet add a little more decoration to the palanquin before painting. Other than that, these are all the models I've made for my Relic Lizardmen so far! Expect my next posts to be a look at them being painted, some are already in progress. Thanks for following along this far.

Hek

2 comments:

  1. This is just fantastic - as is your whole 'relic lizardmen' project. Really looking forward to seeing them painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Hopefully I'll find time to put a few more WIP pictures on Instagram soon.

      Delete