Saturday 1 September 2018

AoS Relic Lizardmen Part 5: Salamanders


Some gribbly prehistoric beasts join the Relic Lizardmen, thanks to some vintage Ral Partha models.

So I got ahold of some historically accurate prehistoric "Small Carnosaurs" from Ral Partha's  Children of the Night series. I got Small Carnosaurs 13-004a-c as well as a 13-006 Monoclonius Agathaumas. I skipped on the weird-looking 13-005 Megalosaurus since I don't think it's a great model. All four models are originals from 1978! and unfortunately some were barely showing the early signs of lead rot. I gave them all a white vinegar wash, scraped away the infected bits and sealed them with a polyurethane primer. They didn't lose a lot of detail, and only from the textured undersides so it's not noticeable.
Agathaumus, illustrated by Charles R. Knight, from Wikipedia
The thing I like about these is they look like early prehistoric animals from long before true dinosaurs. The Relic Lizardmen so far are an ambiguous mix of species that don't look purely reptilian so these old mdoels are a good fit. I jumped at the chance to add some prehistoric beasts to my army so much so I didn't even think of what I'd use them as. I guess they're Salamanders, even if they're too small – and the Agathaumus is too big... Interesting in Age of Sigmar it seems you can take Salamanders without handlers– and vice versa! Maybe that's how I get round units of five Skinks...


More updates on the way. I've got at least one more big modeling project for the Relic Lizardmen to show off before I start posting the painted versions....

Hek

No comments:

Post a Comment