Saturday 23 May 2020

Hekatoncheires' complete collection


Incredibly, I've cleared my project backlog. Now seems as good a time as any to take a look back at nearly 3 years of modelmaking (has it been that long!?). Here's a group shot of all the models I made and painted in that time, with closeups below the jump.

By my count, this is 136 models, but I might have lost count partway through... It's so cool to see them all like this. My usual way of working is to devote myself to the current project and put the last project away once I'm done with it; so I haven't looked at many of these models myself for a long time.


I guess around fifty percent of these are Mordheim models, identifiable by the grey-brown bases with black rims. Mordheim has always been one of my favourite settings for kitbashing for. A smaller number are Age of Sigmar or Warcry builds, and the minority are 40k models (at the back).

Necrons
I'm a thrifty hobbyist. I think the only complete kit I bought brand new was the Empire Archers (R.I.P.) that I turned into an Ostlanders warband. Mostly I source parts entirely from bitz sites and eBay, as and when I need them. I find it can be productive to see what you can come up with only using bits and pieces that you already have.

The Wederverkrijgingsgilde Mordheim mercenaries

The Worms of Paradise ghouls

Lamian Chaos Space Marines behind the Relic Lizardmen

Tetnis the boss gobbo, rightly in charge of the whole lot

So what's next? I'll explain more in my next post but for now I'll say that I've ordered a bundle of brand new kits for the first time, and some new equipment too. Following the announcement of a new 40k edition, it seems like a good time to start collecting. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Some very original concepts in your collection, and all expertly done, great to see their gathering. But most of all, the pleasure to have your work complete must be... extreme ? Never happened to me (probably thousands of small 1/72 plastic guys waiting in the cellar).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philotep, it certainly feels like a big deal! It helped that I didn't have a lot of stuff to begin with so I was really stretching my resources to produce all of this. Now that I've run out I've *really* run out and while I'm waiting on some new kits to arrive I've got plenty of time to look back at everything. It's a good feeling!

      Delete