Friday 30 August 2019

AoS Relic Lizardmen Part 10: Salamanders complete


To add some dinosaurian flavour to my Relic Lizardmen, I painted up four lead Ral Partha sculpts that are older than me. As medium-sized quadruped dinosaur creatures, I guess these can count as Salamanders!


I bought these early in the process of building the Relic Lizardmen and now that the whole group is done I think they don't fit in quite so well. These are the only metals in the group, are totally unconverted, and technically aren't GW sculpts. If I was to start a salamander unit now I would probably do plastic conversions from scratch (and in the time it took me to paint them, the rules for Salamanders have changed so that you can only field 3 per unit!). All that aside, they are lovely old-school sculpts with detail that was very fun to paint. On top of that they're models of real dinosaur species, so they bring a really unusual character to the army. And to be honest I only decided they were "salamanders" once I'd already decided I wanted these sculpts in my collection!



For painting I went with very bright colors as with the rest of the army. I more or less improvised color schemes and refined the patterning and variations as I went on. My usual thing is to go back and forth with highlights and shading and glazing getting progressively neater. The models are actually kinda smaller than they look but they still present some nice flat skin surfaces to work on. And pleasingly the skin has very realistic folds and musculature to work with, a nice quality of old-school metal sculpting. However the models are old enough to have caught some of the dreaded Lead Rot resulting in a few small spots of ruined detail.





Stay tuned for the long-awaited final update on this round of Relic Lizardmen...

Hek


No comments:

Post a Comment