Saturday 28 November 2020

Primaris Space Wolves part 9: Battle Leader

A distinguished leader for the Space Wolves. Either a Battle Leader or a Lieutenant, depending on your adherence to Codex standards. Pics and details of the conversion process below the jump.

This one is converted from the Kor'sarro Khan model. Suitably bulky, with a fur cloak, and covered in totems. It's a great sculpt but difficult to work with. My aim was to make a figure who's heavy set and intimidating, adorned with plenty of trophies. He's the only footslogger in my army who wears a helmet - I gave him a Grey Hunters helmet for a more old school look.

I kept the cloak detached for painting. The kit is designed in such a way that the trim of his right shoulder pad is attached to the cloak, making it a very flimsy piece that didn't stick well once I glued the painted parts together. I replaced it with some green stuff and added purity seals to cover the evidence...

To turn him into a Space Wolf instead of a White Scar, I shaved away the lightning bolt icons on his belt plate and banner. These got painted as bronze disks instead, symbolising Fenris's sun during its short, tumultuous summer season. The belt could nicely represent the Belt of Russ.

His backpack got wolf heads from the Wulfen kit. They needed a little adjustment to sit right. His axe is made from an old Terminator axe shaft with the head of an old Chaos Warrior's axe. I like the slightly retro feel of the resulting weapon.

In terms of painting, he has the same scheme as the rest of my army. The wolf fur was painted to be lighter in the recesses with a warm dark grey on the tips of the fur. His cloak borrows a warm orange red from the Primaris Ancient's banner. I think using this as a spot colour on the command models draws attention to them against the otherwise cold colours of the rest of the army.


I think the resulting model has more of the bearing of a Captain than a Lieutenant (in 9th Edition, Space Wolf Wolf Lords and battle Leaders use the generic Space Marine titles). But I think he looks much cooler with an axe than a sword! Perhaps I might convert a Captain who looks even grander. And then there's the rule that lets you take two Lieutenants for the price of one...

No comments:

Post a Comment