Thursday 6 June 2019

AoS Relic Lizardmen Part 8: Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One complete


In the rainforests of Hysh there are great pools of green water miles in length, with banks as sheer and straight as roads. And they border cyclopean stone walls just as green, with age and moss and algae. And along the walls can be seen carvings of reptilian heads, and statues that are neither man nor beast. And the calls of unseen animals in the jungle seem to carry the cadence of spoken words, as if a language unintelligible to men.


Has it really been almost 10 months since I last posted about Topotl the Saurus Scar-Veteran?! Well, he and his beloved pet cold one Kom-Kom are finally complete.



I painted him on and off over a long period, and some elements are newer than others. Topotl was a bright light blue until I gave him a green-blue glaze late in the painting process. Kom-Kom's blue mouth was on of the last things I came up with– I had a lot of trouble making his face work and look different from the Saurus Warriors, who use the same Tzaangor heads.


This was a fun concept to work on! I decided early on that in my version of Lizardmen, "cold ones" was a generic descriptor for any Lizardmen riding beast. So Kom-Kom is a sort of prehistoric devil-bird. I might make more cold one riders– if I do, each one will be a different type of animal!


The surprised looking golden pheasant is from the Empire Archers kit



Finally, here's some moodboard images:

Walt McDougall

Arent van Bolten (bet you didn't expect a farting monkey to be an inspiration)

Image by Mike Wilks
Stay tuned for more Relic Lizardmen, and some info about my entry for #28MagChallenge...
Hek

5 comments:

  1. Another fantastic piece. As usual, the design is delightfully outlandish, and the colour choices match it perfectly. Love the pattern on Kom-Kom's neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ana! I'm really glad you're enjoying this project!

      Delete
  2. Superb!

    The rider's morose expression makes him curiously reminiscent of at least one Slann illustration from back in the 80s. I can't remember which. And the beastie is just magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly this Paul Bonner illustration?: https://awesomeliesblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/slann-4.jpg
      One of my favourites, it was certainly on my mind when I built this! Really glad you like it!

      Delete
    2. Yes! The chap at the front!

      Delete