Thursday 16 August 2018

AoS Relic Lizardmen Part 2: Sauruses

In some corners of Hysh they say there are creatures that are thought elsewhere to have been wiped out at the great extinction of the Old World. In some places in Hysh, those digging the foundations for castles or pits for graves find bones so old they have turned to stone, and the gossips say that those fossils match the shape of the creatures they have seen, very much alive...
Saurus champion Lotol
In my first post about this project I gave some background on what I'm calling Relic Lizardmen. That is, Old World Lustrian Lizardmen who escaped the End Times guided by their Slann priest (hey if the Skaven can do it...) and settled in a certain quiet corner of the Realm of Light long before the current Age of Sigmar narrative. I'm not keeping up with the AoS fluff so I don't know if this kind of timespan is supported but in my mind these Lizardmen have been settled for a million years. These guys are ancient prehistoric, living fossils, something like the real-world myth of surviving modern-day dinosaurs like the Mokele-mbembe. Since they bodily migrated from the Old World they aren't the Celestial Daemons that their cousins the Seraphon are, and freed from the Old Ones' plans for the Old World they've gone native and proliferated through the rainforests of the temperate parts of Hysh.

Xolox
In terms of asthetic I'm playing fast and loose and stretching the idea of what "Lizard-men" look like. I aim to avoid using any Lizardman/Seraphon bitz (okay I did use one Seraphon bit…) so the conversions are totally distinct from other Seraphon armies out there.

Kopokol
I've got a recipe for the Sauruses: Bloodletter bodies and legs with Tzangor heads and Pink Horror arms, with some sculpting over the top to give them scales, tails and Aztec-style jewelery. In my fluff, the Sauruses have a more stable, slow physiology than Skinks so show less evolutionary divergence. That said, they still vary in body-shape, the most extreme example is the regiment leader who has a hard exoskeleton.

Oxok
The Skinks though have exploded into hundreds of different subspecies and I'm building each one differently. I'll post them next time. Oh, and I might've picked up a handful of old Ral Partha sculpts...

Hek

Standard Bearer Okomok




2 comments:

  1. I love these guys so much - they seem really animalistic rather than their more domesticated cousins! The faces are especially brilliant, reminding me a lot of Oviraptors! Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete