Friday 22 June 2018

40k Blanchitsu Eldar


Here's a little one-off project, and the most Blanchitsu model I've built. I set myself the challenge of scratch-building a model in one day and painting it the next, and this is the result. Having not made anything (A)elfy before I wanted to make a real alien-looking being. It was gonna be a Dark Eldar at the start, but the build process was improvised and the model got more ambiguously Aeldari as it developed. By the time I added the Bretonnian horse-shaped helm the model looked more like an Aeldari Dire Avenger than a Drukari Bad Guy, so Aeldar xe is.

Process pics below the jump…


This was a real scrap-build from the dregs of my bitz box (most of which I've already used up on my Mordheim projects and upcoming Relic Lizardmen). There was a single torso that was suitable and enough scraps to scratch-build some gangly Aeldari arms and legs. I admire WeirdingsWay's work on building well-proportioned humanoid characters, and this is the sort of thing I aimed for. Since this is a one-off, I could spend time on making an Eldar that looks inhuman, long and delicate like in the fluff.
Pre-greenstuff build
Pre-greenstuff build
At this point, the model was very fragile. The greenstuff sculpting was essential just to keep it held together! A couple more details were added: a fur… clothing(?) on xyr back and a pommel on the weapon. I tried out extra details on the weapon but any addition made it look more like a rifle and I wanted it to look like exotic alien tech that a human wouldn't have a clue how to wield. So I kept it as a simple spiked tube.

Sculpting extra details and holding the model together


There's a fair few Tyranid bits making up the arms, thigh-plates and feet. Thinking of Blanche art, I aimed for a mix of medieval knight and insect. The horse-head helm is where the build really came together. I think the slim, gloved power-pose adds a kinda Super Sentai look too. The model ended up real tall! I don't have a comparison shot, but the Mordheim Ostlanders I've got on the go come up to xyr upper arm at most.

For the paint scheme I went with a warm yellow, which is a real old-school GW style in my mind. I chose not to pick out too many details on the body to keep the suit looking integrated, like it's made of one material. The weapon is also a single color (old-school Red) so it's easily distinguished as a separate part. Metals are all gold, there's a couple touches of black, and a single spot of purple on the Soul Stone on the model's chest. I did a little Blanchian flame motif on the ribbon at the model's waist (black + white patterns are as old-school GW in my mind as yellow armour and red guns).



The base is super rough. I think it would benefit from some flock, which I don't have, and I already committed to doing this one as quick as possible. Ah well, something to add later I guess.

This was a welcome break from painting muddy brown Mordheimers! Ostlanders will be finished soon, and then I'll be back to bright colors on my Relic Lizardmen.

Keep up on my Instagram.

Hek

2 comments:

  1. Quite possibly one of the strangest miniatures I've seen in a while, but I really like it! For some reason it reminds me of a book I read to my children... http://baike.ef.com.cn/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/bear.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's the exact same color palette isn't it (and a horse...)

      Delete