Monday 12 November 2018

#Kitbashember 9-12 Necron Canoptek Wraith


This is the conversion that's strayed furthest from the official Necron design. My Canoptek Wraith is a kind of homunculus, here fulfilling the role of Healer in the #Kitbashember list.


Egyptian "proto-ushabti" from Wikipedia
This guy is based off of a photo of an early Egyptian Ushabti from Wikipedia. Warhammer Fantasy used to have Ushabti in the Tomb Kings range (RIP) that's based on these tomb figurines. The later Egyptian Ushabti designs were more sophisticated clay figurines but this primitive wax model stuck in my mind. Since Necron Canoptek Wraiths are described as ghostly immaterial constructs I thought that something like this haunting figure would make a perfect stand in for that. I picture it floating eerily through the silent Necrontyr tombs, an automaton dutifully maintaining the tomb's machinery. Unlike the sentient Necrons, this is a soulless homunculus built to perform tasks on command. Like the official Canoptek Wraiths, it can phase through solid matter to tinker with the insides of machinery (and damaged Necron soldiers).


This guy is 100% green stuff over a simple wire armature, with a single skull inside the head. The white stuff in the picture is Vallejo liquid putty to give him a waxy texture. The wire armature extends out of his foot to make him hover spookily a couple feet above the ground. Once he's primed he'll look more like one coherent material.

Hek

2 comments:

  1. OMG I love this! Each new figure for this project is a beautiful surprise. This kind of departure from comfortable, familliar, thousands of times seen designs is something I want to see more of in the hobby. Same with your lizardmen. I cannot wait to see them all painted eventually. Also, keeps reminding me I ought to continue work on my own necrons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ana! Your own Necrons were a huge inspiration for this project– I actually started planning these builds as soon as I saw your own amazing take on Necrons. Can't wait to see them complete!

      Delete