Thursday 15 November 2018

#Kitbashember 12-15 Necron Scarab



For November 12-15 the #Kitbashember prompt is "Grenadier / Pet". If you ask me a Necron pet has got to be a scarab. And not a small one...
Uluburun the Scarab was a pain to build! Of course there's no GW bugs the right size to build a beetle from. My first attempt used wire legs that I tried to greenstuff over (unsuccessfully).

Uluburun the Scarab, first attempt with wire legs.
These legs were way too long, awkward to pose, and didn't have the segmented look of an armoured beetle. The skull face was also way too big. Back to the drawing board!


The main components were a Carnifex head shell and a Stormcast shield, with an old Chaos Warrior shoulderpad for the thorax. Some Bloodletter manes worked as under-shell fur, with a Black Dragon tail for the horn, and Tzaangor Enlightened bows for the front legs. Unfortunately I didn't have enough bows to make all the legs that way. In the end, I stuck them together from chopped up horns and bows and spear hafts that I had spare. That made them look more segmented, and short enough to keep the beetle shape low to the ground. I'm gonna tweak the leg positions once Uluburun's painted and ready to glue to the base. Speaking of bases, that's a 60x35mm cavalry base, so he's big!


On this topic, I'd love to see a Tomb Kings conversion using Alarielle's giant beetle one day...

Hek

No comments:

Post a Comment