Wednesday 21 November 2018

#Kitbashember 18-21 Necron Lammassu


Another slot I almost skipped, #Kitbashember 18-21 is "Slave / Ally". I repurposed an old abandoned conversion to produce something new that doesn't really exist in the lore, a 40k Lammassu.
You might guess that this guy started as an attempt at a one-off Chaos Dwarf kitbash. Lammassus are a real mythological beast, so ages ago I had a pop at making one closer to the historical real world version. The base model is just a High Elf lion but the head was more difficult. After searching for a suitably beatific head in the GW range I ended up instead sculpting it from scratch, using ancient Assyrian busts as a reference. I put the model aside when I was unable to get the pieces for a Chaos Dwarf rider, or the wings that it should have.


I thought of this Lamassu, even when it was meant to be a Chaos Dwarf model, as a living statue. So it's a good fit for this Necron group that takes inspiration from the Tomb Kings, with their living statue constructs. Perhaps its a native creature of one Necrontyr world, as ancient as the Necrontyr, that's been enslaved into service under this Tomb King. Perhaps it's a willing ally, an artificial servant construct built by the Necrons. Or maybe it's something to do with the Ctan....

To make it a little more Necron-ish, I broke the nose I'd carefully sculpted :'( and gave it a new gaping mouth. I did consider giving it a skull face, but settled for a statue face like the Sphinx of Giza that has been subtly broken over time until it almost resembles a skull.

Left: The Lammassu's face before getting Necron-ised, Right: the new, broken version
The wings are Tzaangor quivers, and could represent a technological flying mechanism, or part of the restraining system that keeps this creature enslaved to the Tomb King's will.


I've honestly no idea what real Necron unit this could represent! Perhaps as a Slave/Ally it could be something else stolen from another 40k army? Suggestions welcome in the comments!

Hek

No comments:

Post a Comment