Saturday 18 August 2018

AoS Relic Lizardmen Part 3: Saurus Scar Veteran


My previous Relic Lizardmen post got an amazing response so let's move straight on to the next guy: a Saurus Scar Veteran on Cold One...
One of the most common Seraphon conversions I see is swapping out the terrible Seraphon Cold Ones for the great Dark Elf raptor-style Cold Ones. Besides those raptors there's not been a good Cold One sculpt since the very first ones waaaay back, the weird gangly quadrupedal amphibian things. I'm taking a real lax approach and saying a Cold One is any creature a Lizardman sits on (minus the Big Monsters). For this Scar Veteran, that's a type of prehistoric devil-bird.

"Squawk"
The core of this model is a Tyranid body turned the wrong way round (the tail works as the neck) with some Crypt Ghoul legs. Since the best head for this was a Tzaangor- which I'm already using for the other Sauruses- I tried to change up the rider's head so they don't look like siblings.

Topotl, the Scar Veteran
The Relic Lizardmen are very genetically diverse so the rider gets to look different from his peers with a Beastman head. The wide spaced eyeholes on the helmet are a feature I've used on some other models I haven't previewed here yet so they're in keeping with the army style. The stuffed pheasant is a left over piece from the Ostlanders kit, one of the most characterful bits in the set. I had to trim away the arm holding it and resculpt some of the feathers.

Topotl's Cold One mount is named Kom-Kom
The banner tufts are sculpted from milliput. I don't think Scarvets can be Battle Standard Bearers in Age of Sigmar (do you even get those still?) so it counts as a particularly nice looking spear. This and the face jewellery are features I went back and added after refering to pictures of Aztec warriors.


It's good you can field a solo Cold One Rider since I'm sticking to the AoS army construction rules and five of these would be a lot of work. That said, I'm keen to think about what other animals a Lizardman might ride around on...

Hek

3 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea what Tyranid the tail is from exactly? I'd love to replicate this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's from the Gargoyles kit. I went for one of the straight tails to get this pose but a curved one could work depending on what pose you want. Note that the Gargoyle tails are pretty thin so I had to bulk this out with milliput.

      Delete
  2. Aaah thanks so much! I kept veering between thinking it was from a Warrior or Carnifex.

    ReplyDelete