Tuesday 7 November 2017

Making a Mounted Chaos Space Marine

There's a sixth member of the Chaos Space Marine squad I last posted. It's the most involved conversion I've done on any of the models, but the idea was cool enough that I wanted to try it.




The Marine is made from a Primaris Reiver. I wanted a lightly-armoured figure so that he wouldn't look too ridiculous on top of a horse. For the same reason, he's got an old Space Marine backpack rather than one of the cool extended CSM ones. The head is the top half of an old Chaos Warrior head with the bottom half of (I think) an old Khorne Berzeker head. The Reiver model worked well: his crouching pose looks like he's shifting his weight in the saddle, and he came with loads of pouches that help sell his "outrider" role. I only needed to do a little bit of repositioning of his legs, feet, and hands.

The horse is the very old Citadel standard plastic horse that used to come with almost all mounted Warhammer characters. However, left as is, it would have been way too small for a true-scale Space Marine so I had to perform some horse extension surgery:



The limbs, torso and snout are all cut and extended with pins and sprue bits, then covered over with Milliput. So much of the bulk of the horse has been covered over and resculpted that I wonder if I could have just scratch-built it on an armature anyway.




Once the horse was done, I made a saddle with Green-Stuff, the rider's torso was pinned into place and the rest of him was constructed around the horse. Then the reins, bridle, stirrups etc were made with Green-Stuff and some off-cut bits.



Hek

No comments:

Post a Comment