Thursday 30 November 2017

Lamians Warband: Painting Update

Group shot – The Lamians Warband

It's been a while since I posted last, because I've been knuckling down and just painting all the models at the same time. Instead of posting about 10 models in gradually decreasing states of bareness, I thought I'd hold off until they're (almost) done.

So, here they are!


Noise Marine

My main goal throughout this little project has been to make a Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine Squad without relying on any of the usual Slaaneshi tropes. I chose Slaanesh as the least narratively-developed of the Chaos pantheon, giving me more room to play around (way back I was always a fan of Tzeentch, but Khorne and Nurgle aren't as interesting to me).

Morback's Plaguebone army was of course a huge inspiration. It's a masterfully original interpretation of Nurgle-ish design that takes the style into new territory in its own way. In fact it's so successful that GW deservedly got Morback on board to design the new Death Guard, which incorporate a lot of his Plaguebone designs. While I have no such expectations for my Lamians (and their design is nowhere near as characterful), I looked to the Plaguebones as an example for taking the Slaanesh visuals in my own direction.

Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine

I was also inspired by Migs' Alpha Legion (a very tight, characterful army) and so while trying to come up with a Slaaneshi colour scheme that wasn't the usual pink 'n purple i settled on a vibrant blue-green. At first my basic paint set didn't allow me to go as vivid as I would have liked. This changed with the purchase of a super-cheap sky blue acrylic from a craft shop that I mixed into my palette.

To emphasise the armor's glowy luminosity I worked some strong warm zenithal drybrush highlights on the upper surfaces of the armor and some very deep green washes on the lower sides. I matched this to some heavy verdigris on the metallic parts of the armor, aiming to make the warriors look ancient, imposing, and statue-like. The Primaris models really do look huge next to the human-sized cultists.

Slaanesh Chaos Space Marine

There's a few last details I want to add to the models but the main paint job is more-or-less done for now. Coming up I'll post the cultists, Daemonette, and Rhino and then some focus posts on the individual models (there's only 11!). I also, inspired by the whole #INQ28 style, have backstory in mind that I'll begin posting.

Follow me on Instagram for more updates https://www.instagram.com/instahekatoncheires

Hek

No comments:

Post a Comment